Reflection on Summer

We all love summer. Every time a new academic year starts, our brains start their own subconscious countdown for summer. I mean, we kind of have the right to do that. Nobody likes doing homework -at least I think- and certainly no one loves studying for exams. No one likes the sleepless nights where you're trying so hard to finish up the project you've been neglecting for about a month. Its hard, its intense, and you don't really like that. You just want to sit there, relax, do nothing, and sleep.


I've never sat at home idly doing nothing for an entire summer, until this summer came along. My excuse? I could possibly get away with saying that it's a relatively short summer and I need a break from studying to mentally prepare for the transition to university... but that would be some sort of a lie. I could just say I was too lazy to do anything. And that nothing much else happened.

I always did some sort of thing in summer if I wasn't traveling. Doing nothing for over a month so far, this summer is scaring me.

Living in this modern world, everything is systematic and all the rules of going about our lives are fairly easy to read. This leaves us with almost no time to think out of the box, or do something different. These days, I suppose one cannot say that they are truly living their own lives until the get past 21 or 22. Up until then, a person's life is basically dictated. Kindergarten, school, and finally university. Now I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with getting an education, its just that the rigidness of this system seems to internally kill people's creativity. These 20 years, they haven't gone to waste at all; but science has yet to discover a proper way to educate people without messing them up in other ways.

So message number one says: Teach yourself whatever think you need to know. Just don't forget to do good in school for formalities and stuff.

So my theory is this: Because school kills so much of what we have, or at least simply oppresses it, once we're out of school we're completely clueless about what to do next. I'm not saying this applies to everyone; there are always exceptions to any rule. Yet, this seems to be the case mainly.

I like to think of each summer as a short trailer, giving you a sneak peak into what the rest of your life is going to be like. After we graduate, we shall be officially released from this elaborate educational system; and then what? Getting a job would be the most appropriate next step to choose. Still within the "system". And even then, what kind of life would you be leading if all you did was work, whether it was school work or any other kind of work. Of course everyone has to work to earn a living, but that shouldn't be the extent of one's life.

What would we be if everyone's usual routine was school, university, and then work. There has to be some life in our lives... Where and how? I don't know. Why is this system in place worldwide, and has it really proven to be goo for humankind? I don't know either.

The reason this post was written is because I felt that I needed to share my incoherent thoughts with you guys :) Nothing quite useful here otherwise..
Anyways... summer is almost over. So everyone, *insert fake enthusiasm here* be prepared for a new year!

Comments

  1. hhh, i really liked the part where you suggested we insert a fake enthusiastic reaction.. oh well, i guess life goes on anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Firewall Paradox

What Happened in 1925

Mn asma3 9ootek