We Are Young

I haven't posted in such a long while, I kind of feel like I have to. It's not that I don't have the time; I do. Rather it's that I haven't felt like I had any thoughts to share. Nothing popped out at me as something to write about, so I just refrained from writing anything. Now I realize that sometimes you have to actually think about something to write about, and an idea will appear. So here I am.

I kind of realize that my blog didn't turn out to be what I intended it to be, it wasn't supposed to be a blog geared out to a mainly Emirati audience. But that's what it turned out to be. That's nothing bad - I suppose - although I initially envisioned a blog with a more global outlook. Yet here goes another Emirati-specific post.

Every once in a while we see these hashtags on twitter that people try so hard to get trending, for reasons beyond my capability to understand. Whether or not I understand why getting something to trend on twitter is important, I do notice that some of these trends get rather controversial at times. I've spent over 2 years on the twitter platform, yet I still don't understand what role the hashtag is supposed to serve. When used for events and such things, it makes sense. In other instances, they're just another way for a bunch of bored people to find something to tweet about. I guess that's fine too. But that's not what I want to talk about. I'm not trying to analyze the hashtag here.

The controversial sort of hashtags shouldn't really be called controversial, but rather that they somehow receive opposition from some people. And why is that, you may say? Certain hashtags aim to be funny and witty, using the peculiarities of our society as a subject. Others may downright criticize. Whether or not the things being criticized deserve the criticism, using criticism for entertainment is rather pathetic. Also, why should our culture be criticized in an attempt to induce some laughter? People consistently point out things they see as "backwards", or things that "don't make sense" in a way to say that our society (or a portion of it) is stupid, shallow, ignorant, or whichever it may be. We may commonly use phrases that make no logical sense, for example, but if these phrases have become staples of our Emirati dialect, why should we ever have to attack it? Should we not take pride in it instead?

With the national day coming up, the usual sense of patriotism is again building up in (I hope) every Emirati. In light of this, and the fact that I've heard way too many complaints on tiny things that don't really matter, it should be said that, similar to how it is agreed upon that nobody is perfect, the same would go for nations and societies. Of course we aren't perfect. Who is? We constantly look towards the west as a role model to look up to. We shouldn't be looking towards celebrities - or anyone else for that matter, before looking at our own rich culture and taking from that. Keep in mind that Obama, whose election many of you were keeping up with, is the same Obama that stood there idly while Israel went about another one of their ruthless massacres in what is left of Palestine. You've probably also seen tweets from various celebrities "praying" for Israel, kind of ironic considering that it's the Palestinians being murdered. Go along in blind support for these celebs if you will.

I am not saying that I don't look to the West. I do, and quite a lot I may add. I always find myself praising their universities, wishing I was there instead of here. Dreaming of the research and job opportunities that are impossible to find here. I do that. However sometimes I oblige myself to stop; to pause and think. Harvard University was established in 1636. Yale in 1701. What about the oldest university in Emirates? Only in 1976 was UAE University established. I doubt it is at all fair to compare. It surely is true that Harvard is a great university, yet would not a big part of that be attributed to the fact that it has had over three centuries to become what it is today? It would be correct to say that Harvard is "better" than any university in this country, yet you cannot criticize any of our universities for not being at the level of an Ivy League college. Perhaps they will be, if given the centuries the Ivys have had to grow. In case you aren't aware, UAEU ranks in one of the top 50 universities established within the last 50 years. Certainly a good thing. AUS, a much newer university, ranks among the world's top 500. No less an achievement for so young a university.

I used universities as an example perhaps because this is what I am most familiar with currently. Yet this would apply to everything else as well. Our just-starting film industry, the various small start ups, the lack of scientific thinkers, as well as anything else you may think of, would very plausibly be the direct result of a very young country. What are we, today? The second generation of  Emiratis? I think so. Even though our infrastructure may indeed be world class, our society has only just started shaping itself.

One day we will get there. Pretty soon I think too. The speed at which numerous different initiatives that have spurred these last few years is great, we can already see that a society with a new mindset is forming. To criticize however, will only hinder this process. We must all look forward optimistically. How exciting is it to be part of a country when it is so young? In a way, we are all shaping the nation. We are building something, while others may appear more sophisticated only because their society was already established a long time ago. How messy is a construction site while a house is being built?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Firewall Paradox

What Happened in 1925

A Villanelle