A Villanelle

A villanelle is a form of poetry. I love using this form because it gives a poem a sense of rhythm and rhyme. This specific poem was an in-class assignment, which meant I probably wrote it in less than an hour. It’s probably far from perfect; I rarely bother with doing revisions.

I cry my eyes out each night
All I ever think about is you
I need you back in my sight

With you my days are always bright
I love you and because I do
I cry my eyes out each night

Kill myself from pain I might
Even though you said we’re through
I need you back in my sight

I don’t know if what I’m doing is right
My days seem all very blue
I cry my eyes out each night

I sit here feeling hurt tonight
About what to do I haven’t a clue
I need you back in my sight

I bleed now from the lips I bite
My love for you is ever so true
I cry my eyes out each night
I need you back in my sight


Another love poem: simple, easy, doesn’t require much imagination. I’m not a great fan of love poems myself, but I find myself leaning towards that genre too often because it is easy. I don’t believe writing love poems will aid me much in improving my writing.

The romance and love genre, in my eyes, is a fairly easy once to write. Yes, when a person is just starting, this genre seems comfortable and easy for anyone to write in; it is a good starter. However I do not think that writing in this genre makes a person a competent writer. A talented and skilled writer should be able to write in many different genres; sure, each person would find their strengths in a specific genre, but I believe that no one’s strength lies in the romance genre alone.

I’m pretty sure anyone can write something romantic. I believe the love genre is a just another way of self expression. Whether a person is in love or not, wherever we may live, whatever our social status might me, no matter what our ages and genders are; all people around the world share one thing: the need for love. Children long for their parents’ affection, teenagers struggle with what they think is love, and married couples try to rekindle their love after many years of living together. It’s a human instinct. Not a fictional genre.

Comments

  1. It was actually very good.
    Bs 7sait while reading shway el balance was off. Well not really off, but the line "I cry my eyes out each night" kinda bugged me :P I guess an alternative to the word "each" would've been better. Like every, I think it has a ring to it.

    Overall it was very good <3 and I enjoyed reading it <33

    H~ ;*

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks =)

    yeah the balance is kinda off in some places..

    I prefer "each" over "every" =P bs anyways that line seems too cliché anyways..madry

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really liked what you wrote =)

    and ur right anyone can write a love poem, but in my opinion not all of them excel at it

    some can be very creative in twisting love stories into wicked tales =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Firewall Paradox

What Happened in 1925

Mn asma3 9ootek